IRC or Internet Relay Chat is quite oldest chat but lot of people still use it and some applications have support via IRC Chat rooms. But if you are not technically savvy you may find it hard to use it. Mibbit is a IRC chat app that runs in your browser.
With Mibbit you can jump in to any IRC channel if you know the address, if you don’t know the address use the search feature to find channels. You can connect to multiple channels, channels open in tabs like Firefox tabs. All the channels will stay active while switching between channels. You don’t need to register to joi any channel but if you do you will get some extra features like you can save your favorite channels and connect to all of them when you login.
Mibbit says that it is not an anonymizer, they send your IP to IRC servers, so don’t spam or abuse the system otherwise you will be banned.
- Fast lightweight client – as opposed to flash or java applets.
- Connect to multiple channels on multiple servers.
- Full utf8 support means whatever language, you can use mibbit.
- Typing notification (Users name turns red when they are typing).
- Tab completion on nicknames (Just starting someones name, and try pressing tab).
- Input history for each channel (Up and down arrows).
- Chat scrollback on join. This allows you to see some of the recent discussion in a channel so you have a clue what’s going on.
- Extended whois information.
- Device identification – Wii users show up as a joystick, iPod touch show up as an ipod, iPhone as a phone… You get the idea. This makes it easy to tell why someone is typing slowly for instance.
- Parsing of links, channels, smilies, mIRC color, nicknames.
- Auto thumbnailing of image URLs
- Integrated pastebin