Windows Live SkyDrive is a free online storage service from Microsoft, it offers 25GB of storage space for users. 25GB of space comes in handy for uploading pictures, documents etc but if you want to use it as a backup space you need to upload files one by one. The better solution is to mount the SkyDrive as virtual drive in windows explorer, in this way you can add files to the drive quite easily.
SkyDrive Explorer is a freeware that allows you to add SkyDrive as a virtual folder in Windows Explorer. Download the application and install it on your system. After installing you will see “SkyDrive Explorer” icon in My Computer along with other drives. Click on that it will ask you to authenticate to Windows Live using your Windows Live ID.
Once you installed and authenticated to SkyDrive you can manage all the files stored in SkyDrive, you can edit, delete and add files and folders to the SkyDrive.
- View the structure and contents of folders in SkyDrive
- View files information (type, size, creation date in GMT format);
- Create new root folders and subfolders;
- Copy files into the storage;
- Delete files and folders;
- Copy files from the storage to the computer;
- Copy folders and subfolders from the storage to the computer keeping their structure;
- Use Drag & Drop for files operations;
- Rename files and folders;
- Create links to SkyDrive folders on your computer.