Amazon announced the Fire OS 3.1 update for Kindle Fire HD and Kindle Fire HDX devices. The update is over-the-air (OTA) update and is available now for download. Fire OS is Amazon,s customized version of the Google’s Android operating system. The new update brings several new features to the Kindle tablets.
The most notable changes in Fire OS 3.1 include support for Goodreads, no need to open a separate app for ratings and other stuff while reading books. Goodreads is a community of book lovers, with the direct integration of Goodreads features users can find great book and rate and share.
The second screen support enable users to watch videos and movies on your TV while freeing the device display to other activities, while watching you can use the Kindle display for playback controls, a customized display for X-ray or browse the web.
The latest update adds some features for the enterprise market, now you can connect your device to secure enterprise Wi-Fi networks and access corporate apps, documents like SharePoint, native VPN etc.
Additional new features of Fire OS 3.1 include:
- Cloud Collections helps you organize your books, newspapers, magazines, and apps in customized collections for easy reference, and Amazon’s Whispersync technology synchronizes the collections across your Kindle devices and reading apps so they’re available on all of your devices.
- Voice dictation converts your speech to text—available in all languages when online; offline support available in US English.
- 1-Tap archive which frees up space on your Kindle Fire by identifying items that have not been recently used and provides a 1-tap option to store them in the Cloud for later retrieval.
- Wireless printing of photos, PDF, e-mails, contacts, calendar and docs.
- New accessibility enhancements that enable blind and visually impaired customers to save a separate accessibility profile for children in Kindle FreeTime, scroll lists automatically when swipe navigating, hear enhanced sound feedback and screen orientation changes announced, and have more control when editing text and navigating web content.
- Dozens more new features, performance and battery life improvements, and bug fixes.
Fire OS 3.1 is available for Kindle Fire HD and Kindle Fire HDX tablets as OTQ update. The update will roll out in the coming weeks to all supported Kindle tabs starting today, you can also check by going to Kindle Updates if you want to update it now.