Samsung Galaxy Gear smartwatch is now official and marks the entry of Samsung into smartwatch category. After numerous leaks and speculation Samsung has finally launched this smartwatch at IFA Berlin today. It is a smartphone accessory, it notifies users of incoming messages, alerts, text, emails and allows users to have a preview of the message, alternatively users can use their smartphone to check long messages.
Galaxy Gear comes with the S Voice integration, using it users can draft messages, create calendar entries and check weather on Gear. Users can also call using Gear with a smartphone but this in itself is not a phone. Samsung has equipped it with a 1.9MP camera for taking quick photos and videos, you can record 720p video with this device.
It also comes with a Manager app to control the watch and find it when you misplace, it also helps to find Galaxy devices. Auto Lock feature makes the smartphone screen to lock when it is more than 1.5meter from the phone and auto unlocks when it comes near to the phone. It will allow users to control music on their phones with play, pause etc. controls. It will also have a Pedometer for users to check their physical activities and it can track personal data such as calories burned and distance covered etc.
It includes 10 watch faces for displaying time, the 10 watch faces will allow users to customize their Galaxy Gear experience. In future more watch faces will be added to the list according to Samsung. Users can also download apps from Samsung with their phones, at the launch this smartwatch already has 70 apps and more will come in the future.
Galaxy Gear watches will be available from September 25th onwards. In US they will cost $299 and will be available from October onwards. It will be compatible with Samsung Note III announced today, support for other phones including Galaxy S4, SIII will be added as a downloadable patch. Galaxy Gear Smartwatch will be available in six colors at launch including Jet Black, Mocha Gray, Wild Orange, Oatmeal Beige, Rose Gold, and Lime Green
“Samsung’s ongoing smart device innovation leadership reflects our commitment to listen to our consumers, who want their daily lives to be easier and more enjoyable. Samsung GALAXY Gear benefits consumers by integrating smart device technology even deeper into their everyday lives, and bridges the gap between the mobile device and fashion worlds to create truly wearable technology,” said JK Shin, CEO and President of IT & Mobile Division, Samsung Electronics. “Samsung GALAXY Gear frees users from the need to constantly check their smart devices while maintaining connections. It provides what we call ‘smart freedom,’ by allowing users to choose how, why, when and where they are connected.”
Samsung Galaxy Gear Key Specifications:
- 800 MHz processor
- Display: 1.63 inch (41.4mm) Super AMOLED (320 x 320)
- Camera: 1.9 Megapixel BSI Sensor, Auto Focus Camera / Sound & Shot
- Video: Codec: H.264, Format: MP4, HD(720p) Playback & Recording
- Smart Relay, S Voice, Memographer, Voice Memo
- Auto Lock, Find My Device, Media Controller, Pedometer, Stopwatch, Timer
- Safety assistance: In case of emergency, press a power button 3 times continuously, and then user’s location information is transferred to the saved contacts with message.
- 2 Microphones (Noise Cancellation), 1 Speaker
- Connectivity: Bluetooth® v 4.0 ? BLE
- Sensor: Accelerometer, Gyroscope
- Memory: 4GB Internal memory ? 512 MB (RAM)
- Dimension: 36.8 x 56.6 x 11.1 mm, 73.8g
- Battery: Standard battery, Li-ion 315mAh