Sony has launched Xperia SP smartphone in India, it is priced at Rs. 27490 and will be available in stores from mid-April onwards. Sony announced Xperia SP last month, it is a mid-range Android smartphone and joins the Xperia Z and Xperia ZL launched recently. Sony is offering a free case worth Rs. 1,990 with the device.
Xperia SP packs a 4.6-inch HD reality display with Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2. The screen resolution is 1280 x 720 pixels at 319ppi which is very good for a mid range device. It is powered by a 1.7GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 processor with 1GB of RAM. Other specifications include 8GB of internal memory with micro SD slot for expansion of memory upto 32GB. An 8MP rear camera with Exmor RS, LED Flash and a VGS front camera. There is a 2370mAh battery to power up the device.
Connectivity options include 34, LTE, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, micro USB, AGPS with Glonass, NFC and DLNA. Not sure LTE will be available in the Indian version of the handset. The device will be available in red, black and white.
Xperia SP comes in a co-moulded aluminum frame and carries the Sony design pattern. A unique feature of this phone is the color changing transparent strip on the phone which can be customized by the user for alerting of incoming calls and messages.
At INR 27,490 it is a good buy if you look at the specs, but it will have some tough competition from last year’s flagship devices like Galaxy S III and HTC One X and One X+ with the recent price cuts.
Xperia SP Key Specifications
- Dimensions: 130.6 x 67.1 x 9.98 mm, weight: 155gms
- Display: 4.6″ touchscreen – scratch-resistant TFT, 1280 x 720 pixels
- CPU: 1.7 GHz Qualcomm® Snapdragon
S4 MSM8960Pro Dual Core
- Memory: 1GB RAM, 8GB internal memory
- Software: Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
- Camera: 8 megapixel camera with autofocus, 16x digital zoom, pulsed LED flash, VGA front camera
- Battery: 2370mAh, Battery STAMINA Mode for optimum battery life