Google released long back a python-based tool for creating sitemaps, using this several sitemap generators were created. This week Google announced another Sitemap Generator Tool in beta which according to Google is a different kind of Google Sitemap Generator. The limitation i see right now is that you need server access to install this app, you need either console or remote desktop access. The tools is aimed at web hosters and dedicated server users and it is not much useful at the moment for bloggers. I haven’t tested it yet, I will update the post accordingly after i install it myself.
The new tool takes a different approach to creating sitemaps for websites, earlier tools relied on crawling the websites or for blogs when a new post is created it is added to the sitemap. The new tool creates sitemaps based on web server traffic, web server logs and other web server files. I guess this approach is better for creating sitemaps with weights to different posts based on the traffic they recevie.
Main featured of Google Sitemap Generator
- Creation of Sitemaps based on web server traffic, web server logs and web server files.
- Efficient generation of Web Sitemaps used by many search engines, and of Google-specific feeds for Mobile, Code Search, and Blog Search.
- Easy configuration. Once youâ€™ve completed the initial configuration, no further administration is needed. But if you do want to tweak the settings, you can use a web-based administration console.
- Easy filtering of URLs, based on URL patterns.
- Automatic calculation of certain metadata, such as modified time and change frequency.
- Automatic submission of Sitemaps for Web search.
Google sitemap generator creates sitemaps according to the sitemaps.org standard. After generating the sitemap it automatically submits the sitemap to search engines of user choice. Along with the web sitemaps, it can also create sitemaps for Google’s Mobile and Code search services. It will also ping Google Blog search when new URLs are added to the sitemap.
Google Sitemap Generator works with both Windows & Linux servers, BSD support is planned.
Google Sitemap Generator Code can be downloaded from here, and the documentation can be found here.
Guess what Google learned one thing with Google Chrome privacy debacle, Google sitemap generator has privacy statement and the first paragraph reads like this
Google Sitemap Generator is being released through the open source community, so that you can download and examine it. We already already know that you donâ€™t want Google Sitemap Generator to send any private data to Google, and the only information that you’ll be sharing with Google is the Sitemap file!