LG has finally launched G2 officially at an event in New York as expected. Every detail of the phone has leaked over the last few weeks including press images yesterday. LG G2 is the new flagship smartphone for LG and is the first high-end smartphone from LG after shedding the name Optimus in favor of G.
LG calls the new design of G2 as new perspective in Smartphone design, leave the marketing speak and G2 offers some new design hints in that the power and volume rockers are situated in the back of the device just below the camera. There are no buttons on the side of the device, they have been shifted to back. LG says this placement is best suited for the buttons, as the smartphone displays become large it is difficult to operate them with hand. That may be true, but we have to see how these back buttons turn out to be in the real world usage.
The Volume rockers also act as buttons for the camera and launching QuickMemo, long pressing the volume buttons will pen up Camera and QuickMemo. If you want to wake up the device you can do by just double tapping instead of searching for power button on the back.
LG G2 front of the device is mostly occupied with the 5.2-inch full HD 1080p display with very thin bezels on either side at just 2.65mm in size. The display is of IPS LCD display with 423ppi pixel density. LG employed Graphic RAM (GRAM) technology in this phone which reduces the energy consumption of the large display. A 3000mAh is packed under the hood to provide juice to this beast.
G2 runs on the 2.26GHz Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 800 processor with 2GB of RAM and either 16GB or 32GB of internal storage. It runs on the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS with Optimus UI skin on top. But it is slightly disappointing that LG didn’t load Android 4.3 released recently.
LG took inspiration from Galaxy S4 not only for the covers but for the software tweaks as well, this G2 will come with several UX elements that will remind you off Galaxy S4.
- Answer Me — Automatically answers the call after lowering the ringtone when the phone is raised to one’s ear.
- Plug & Pop — Recommends options or related features to choose from when the earphone or USB cable is detected.
- Text Link — Allows information embedded in text messages to be selected and easily saved in a memo or calendar and searched on a map or the internet.
- QuickRemote — Not only can LG G2 be used to remotely control popular home entertainment devices, it can also learn from conventional remotes and be customized to operate multiple devices with flexible layouts and keys.
- Slide Aside — Enables easier multitasking by simply “sliding” open apps off to the side using a three-finger swipe.
- Guest Mode — Protects owner’s privacy by displaying only pre-selected apps when guests access the phone with a secondary unlock pattern.
Availability & Pricing: Availability and Pricing for this phone is not yet clear, according to LG it will make its appearance on 130 wireless carriers worldwide starting with South Korea followed by North America, Europe and other key markets. The rollout will happened in the next 8 weeks.
LG G2 Key Specifications:
- Processor: 2.26GHz Qualcomm® Snapdragon
800 featuring quad Krait CPU
- Display: 5.2-inch Full HD IPS (1080 x 1920 pixels / 423 ppi)
- Memory: 32GB / 16GB
- RAM: 2GB LPDDR3 800MHz
- Camera: Rear 13.0MP with OIS / Front 2.1MP
- Battery: 3,000mAh
- Operating System: Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2
- Size: 138.5 x 70.9 x 8.9mm
- Colors: Black / White