Chronic Dev Team and iOS Jailbreak Dream Team released Absinthe 2.0 for untethered jailbreaking of iOS devices running 5.1.1. The Jailbreak works for iPods, iPhones, iPad models including the third generation iPad.
Absinthe 2.0.1 can jailbreak all models of iPhone starting from iPhone 3GS. It supports all iPad models except the iPad2 16GB model updated recently (iPad2,4), support for this model will be added soon according to the jailbreak team.
The jailbreak supports firmware 5.1.1 only so make sure your devices are up to date before beginning the jailbreak process. Jailbreak team says this is the most easiest jailbreaks to use “so easy your grandma could do it ;D”.
How to use Absinthe 2.0 if you are unjailbroken:
1. Make a backup of your device in iTunes by right clicking on your device name under the ‘Devices’ menu and click ‘Back Up’.
2. Once your backup is complete return to your device and go to Settings – General – Reset – Erase all Content and Settings. This will make the jailbreak process much faster.
3. Open Absinthe and be sure you are still connected via USB cable to your computer.
4. Click ‘Jailbreak’ and wait…. just be patient and do not disconnect your device.
5. Once jailbroken return to iTunes and restore your backup from earlier. Right click on your device name under the ‘Devices’ menu in the left panel of iTunes and click ‘Restore from Back Up…’ then select the latest backup you created before. (restoring this backup will return all the content previously on your device ie, apps, photos, etc.)
6. Thanks for using Absinthe, enjoy your jailbroken iDevice!
How To Untether 5.1.1 (if you’re already jailbroken):
Just search for and install “Rocky Racoon 5.1.1 Untether” from Cydia.
Absinthe 2.0.1 is currently available for Mac OSX (Leopard, snow Leopard and Lion), Windows (XP, Vista and 7) and Linux.
[…] iPad2,4, Chronic Dev Team announced today on twitter. Absinthe 2.0 released over the weekend for untethered jailbreak of iOS 5.1.1 is a huge success so far. Absinthe 2.0 has been downloaded a million times over the weekend. […]