Hotmail announced the availability of POP3 for Hotmail users in the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, France, Japan, Spain, Germany, Italy and the Netherlands. For users in the other countries this feature will be rolled out later this year. POP3 support allows users to get the email messages to desktop clients like Outlook, Live Mail etc.
If you are not living in any of these countries and wanted to enable POP3 for Hotmail you can try to change your country in Windows Live Mail settings. Click Options link in Hotmail and select more options. Here click view and edit your personal information in the Manage your account section, and then click registered information. Here enter any supporting country as your country and update the postal code. Postal code can be found in Google easily. You can use UK as the country and SW5 OSF. Once you are done save the settings.
Now open your desktop mail client and use the below settings to configure Hotmail POP3.
- Incoming Server (POP3 Server): pop3.live.com
- Incoming Server POP Port: 995
- Incoming Server POP SSL Encryption: Yes
- Outgoing Server (SMTP Server): smtp.live.com
- Outgoing Server SMTP Port: 25
- Outgoing Server Authentication: Yes
- Outgoing Server TLS or SSL Secure Encrypted Connection: Yes
Use Hotmail login credentials for login.
User Name: Windows Live ID (e.g. email@example.com)
Password: password used to sign in to Hotmail